Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chance Pe Dance

Scribbled on 25th January-2010
The meeting ended. Nishi, Sami and my empty stomach accompanied me as I was getting ready mentally for yet another bout with my kitchenware. I hate cooking, I hate washing dishes even  more especially after a bloody  tiring day (how I wish I obliterate things like washing, brushing, bathing, etc, etc, etc..). I switch off my mind daily for full 45 minutes, so that the machine in me takes over and prepares the dinner. But today it was destined to be different. Thuckkk-kkk, came the invitation from Vishal, a new restaurant opened in DT mall (in IT park, Chandigarh) and he got an invite to visit it. As he could not attend he asked if we guys would like to avail the chance. My mind, heart and every unfortunate cell which made up my body was already on Chance pe Dance!!. Go-grab-it you asshole was what my mind barking. Yes-no-but,,,,,,,,nishi-back-home-problem, you-yes-me,,,,,no-why-not, all possible ways to express unintended excuses were burping out. My fingers proved yet again that they are smarter than my tongue. They grabbed the invitation card, jo hoga badh mein dekhte hain, abhi ke liye we will keep it (wise Abid in me said).

After a bit of meaningless-incoherent-unwanted bakar bakar, we decided to give it a try. I called up the restaurateur-‘Hey hi, this is Vishal Chalana (invite on this name) speaking from WINSHUTTLE, IT PARK’. I continued trying to move to a secluded place to avoid embarrassment. ‘We have an invite from your restaurant’, start shameless question 1- ‘does it mean food is free tonight??’, Yes came the reply and my spirits moved northwards.Shameless question 2- ‘We are three people, is it free for all?’, Another yes and six legs headed towards the brand new restaurant -RAJASTHANI THALI, A vegetarian restaurant which Guddu likes so much.

First step into the restaurant, I guessed it is going to be a not-bad experience. Tilak on forehead, hi-sir, please-sir, please-please-sir already doing rounds. A thali with eight small bowls-starters, butter milk, sweet dishes, dal, aloo, again a dal, kadi with roti, parantha, papad etc. etc. etc. The non-veg animal in me started savoring the sumptuous Ghaas-Phoos (that’s what I call the veg food). The servings were small, shameless Abid in me thought – It’s a complimentary meal, so we will get to only taste the food. Half fuelled belly in offing, I guessed. But the old adages seldom go wrong – Jab bhi Uppar wala deta hain, tho chappad phaad ke deta hain. Servings, more servings, by now I have already parked aside all my shame along with my bag. I devoured the Ghass-Phoos after a long-long-long time. I ate as though I managed to get a food pack from a helicopter in a flood hit area after a long ordeal. Thankfully Nishi and Sami gave me enough company else it would have been a big pain for them watching a bhukkad. I was proud of my dogged determination to remain shameless. I asked for rice, khitchdi came along. Khitchdi-more-khitchdi, ghee, ghusad diya jo bhi mila. In one word, it was an Excellent meal, as expected ammi was highly elated; but  as mothers are divine manifestations - 'Oh you miss it daily beta', the lump of pain in her throat started pouring in. I cut it short, no mumma not again.

It was not food alone, it was the laugh-heartily-eat-happily experience which rendered awesomeness to it. The oldie in me speaks- Yes the food delighted me, yes I had a escape from daily chores, yes I had a hearty laugh, but what entranced me is the fact that - there is joy in every small thing, the present is indeed the greatest gift of God. Chuck the irreparable past and the elusive future – pearls of joy in living in present are always waiting to embrace me.

Unbiased opinion - Food at Rajasthani Thali rocked on Jan 25th, 2009. Worth trying once..( I am not paid to write this :))

5 comments:

  1. "...pearls of joy in living in present are always waiting to embrace me.."
    So true! Every breath we take is a precious gift .. We should be grateful and embrace it with a smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and yes .. the food really was great! we all njoyed a tummy ful! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely true!!! In the present World people are hardly getting time to indulge in such simple things and cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true. The present is indeed the greatest gift and hence the name "present". A nice and neat narration.

    I think you will shine in movies too for story/screenplay/editing :) (just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad u liked it Shilpa. Will try and make your hope a reality :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete