Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The E-Mail


Prelude:

29 April, 2007 1:58 PM, 2nd floor, ORACLE India office, Hyderabad.
It was Sunday and I was basking in the ultimate success of my life till then - IIM Bangalore selection. I think I was in office to provide weekend support. I sneaked some time in sending an e-mail which has been one of my favorites. It was purely driven by 100%  Shudh Happiness. A perfect coordination between mind and hand- Fingers obliged everything which the mind dictated. In the hindsight I am in awe as to how middle-class family aspirations, brand value, political gimmicks can make a simple exam-results-admission affair a potential script for a Soap.

Subject: Never felt so much happier before!!

Dearest frenz
Thanks for the wishes. Prad congrats from my side again dude..:-)

I had to share some thoughts, experiences since Nov 19th - April 27th with u all which will be treasured by me for a life time. It was a mix of highs and lows, anxiety and blithe & eventually desperation and cheers. A long one but I want to share with my dear ones including me (kinda introspection) .

Nov 19th was when CAT happened and it was that day night after checking the key I realised my exam went decently and I had fair chances of getting atleast a single call. It was in next few days that I started sensing that multiple calls are in the offing. Felt better and better. But it did not last long because new keys were released one after the other by various institutes as none of them were confident of which is the correct answer especially in English. One key made me feel that I am already a part of IIM campus and the other kicked me out from the gate itself. So the journey from Nov 19th - Jan 4th was a tough ride, I am sure all the students who took CAT were all my co-passengers, that was the level of uncertainity! !.

Jan - 4th Finally the D - Day came and the results were out. I found myself in an hapless situation as the section I tot will bail me out of trouble actually put me in a highly precarious situation(English! !!). To be honest the chances of getting even a single call now seemed a distant dream. One after the other all IIM's were showing me the exit door.

Strangely and in the hindsight funnily as well my-would-be- Alma Mater( Just cant resist my elation..I already belong to it!!!) also rejected me. I need to tell you all about this, which will substantiate as to why my selection is such an interesting episode. As IIMB site was down we had to call up admissions office and get the results. We had to give our Hall Ticket number, Date of Birth and Name.It was my friend who called up and when my name was asked he told Abid..and Abid is onething ppl dont get it correctly in the first instance. They have been so many occasions where in I had to spell my name to get it str8 into heads . So as usual the person at IIMB got it wrong and simply said I am not through!!. Again to be honest it did not hurt me much because by then I got used to it. So had no more hopes whatseover, already started thinking wats next..No compromise on college brand..this is what I have been telling myself. Though I did not tell this to Nari and Prad as well... I was sure of getting calls from SP Jain and NITIE and also converting them but my sights were already on the big man GMAT. Apart from dearest nari and prad, the biggest strength of mine to persevere and dream big was providing the required soothing in these difficult moments. However the twist in the story was the next day, I wanted to call IIMB office myself again. I was wondering why I was rejected when my profile is immaculate and others with similar % as mine were getting calls. This time I was told I am selected!!!! ..my happiness had no bounds..Unbelievable experience.. .I was told I am not selected little more than 24 hrs back and now life started entertaining me yet again...It really took time for the fact to sink in me..n I went to the extent of calling them up thrice each time spelling my name A..B..I..D.. .(As Rags calls me ABCD..that wud hve been easier :-))...Surely Prayers and only Prayers did it for me..

I knew GD(My favourite!!! ) is my piece of cake and will relish it to maximum. However I decided that this God given opportunity should not be wasted because of complacency. I gave my best in next 30 dayz. Every minute thing was covered in detail, got acquainted with many things happening around, got my form details reviewed atleast 4-5 times before I posted it to IIM B and K. I got the best recommendation letters from Sydulu sir and My managers at IBM. These were the genuine recos and I am very thankful to them for so beautifully putting across there feelings for me. If not to a gr8 extent but sure they would have an impact in my final selection.

Easily I was the best speaker in all the 4 GD/PI's I attended. Regarding interviews IIM B was the best in my life(I dont want to tell about IIMK plz..it was worse ). In the interview itself I got a feeling that I am already selected in IIMB, as soon as my interview was over I was punching my fist in air and already celebrating. Nari knows that, he was with me right through the interview process.My sincere thanks to the 2 interview panel members (whose qualifications were awesome,later checked in IIMB site) for making me feel very comfortable and get the best out of me.

This did not last long again..Yet again a twist this time OBC quota( I belonged to OBC!!)..a tussle between Supreme Court and HRD.Anxious moments sprouted and last 2 weeks were toughest for me and for all those who had hopes of making it into IIM's.

April 27th- But by Almighty's grace and the prayers of all my well wishers I finished it in style..Got selected as usual in General Category . This made the success even more satisfying,, ,,

Now its party time..Nari Verma we will hve treat@B'lore, Prajay, Rags, Tudum, Botla,Santhu n Prad we will hve it in HYD dudes..will let u know all soon abt it..We will have a blast!!!.n others(American Bhai log) .....

For now I bid bye..n catch u all soon again..with things happening my end. Mail was lengthy..simply cud not stop myself.

Cheers!
Abid

Epilogue:
If the thoughts are noble, desperation is pristine, efforts are immaculate, Yes, the entire universe conspires in helping us to achieve it. It happened with me, it can happen with anyone. Just speaking facts, not to mistaken it for philosophical blabber.

1 comment:

  1. If the thoughts are noble, desperation is pristine, efforts are immaculate, Yes, the entire universe conspires in helping us to achieve it. Very true!! .

    ReplyDelete