Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chandigarh days.......

Scribbled on 30th Nov-2009
Never in my wildest dreams or remote(st) thoughts I imagined myself working in a place called Chandigarh. The most common job locations in India for IIM pass outs (not sure about other MBA's) are Delhi or Mumbai. This was definitely not my desired location by any standards (personal or professional). I came here as I did not have an alternative, period. I am sure I will not miss this place once I leave. However I am glad I had been here. To some extent it satiated my quench for traveling and observing people.I always feel rich to embrace new culture, new way of living. Well, it is definitely not a new culture as such, but definitely a novel experience for a guy who has seldom been to Northern India. Chandigarh has a charm, and I believe it is because of its people. Amazing beauty thrives here, beauty(yes, I am referring to humans) which transcends all ages. Cutest kids, handsome hunks, sexiest damsels and good looking old people. My first thoughts were - Boy, this is a different tribe!, Intra-breeding is a norm, A case of dumb and the beautiful?

If beauty in Chandigarh entranced me, the food has been pain-max. I agree it is because of rice-dal-dahi-chutney kinda food I have been eating all life, but I swear - Rajma, Paneer and black dal have hit me hard. Adding to the woes is the Jira in plain rice, grrrrrrr...... Until my cooking escapades started, I confess I had a pathetic time. Thanks to the place I live which is void of any restaurants, I have become a decent cook.

I first came here in mid of May. Despite being from a place known for scorching summers, I felt extremely difficult to acclimatize myself. I vividly remember those early days in my rented house - drinking water use to just get HOT in no time, the windows and doors open all night, the intermittent power cuts, the hot blow of air even at midnights. It feels so funny and incredible that how much it has changed now. Its freezing cold, a perfect example of minus infinity to plus infinity concept thought in school. One common thing across these extreme weather conditions is tough nights either because of grueling heat or bitter winters. Amidst all this, I savor the 5 minute walk every day as I go to office. I am truly in love with the freshness of cold air, much needed warmth of the morning sun, the sight of cutie tiny tots in stuffed winter wear, the lush green shivalik park.

Chandigarh as per what I see is definitely not a happening place. Advent of IT has made it bigger, I wonder what it was prior to it. Getting a job in IT park, working in Infosys is a BIG thing for people here. I have not traveled the entire breath of it, but if I extrapolate my experiences I think it can be a haven for family, definitely not for a south Indian bachelor*.

*Conditions apply

4 comments:

  1. I read one quote(“Be willing to be uncomfortable. Be comfortable being uncomfortable. It may get tough, but it's a small price to pay for living a dream.”).

    I wish you get all your dreams in return for your tough time in chandigarh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tarini for the wishes and nice quote. In fact I already feel I am living a dream doing what I always wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one....but this is life...the more get involved, the more lessons you get to learn...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haan Suwini, I completely agree. I now wish that the learning part is over :).

    ReplyDelete