Monday, March 22, 2010

Why so many legs are pained?

‘Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Mumbai’s Chatrapathi Shivaji international airport. Outside temperature is just enough to tan your skin and is expected to rain cats and dogs in next 10 hours. We hope you had a comfortable travel with us and will look forward to serve you with many more such utterly-no-frills-yet-enjoyable experiences for all eternity’, the head stewardess’ announcement woke me up from a deep slumber. ‘Please keep your mobile phones switched off…’, she continued in her heavenly voice.

It has been just a microsecond since the plane landed and I already see my fellow passengers struggling to decouple their butts from the seats. Within few seconds they get their hand baggage and impatiently stand to deplane. I have seen this behavior in every single flight I have boarded and needless to say it has aroused enough curiosity in me. This time I kept a constant eye on my watch and also people- It took full 5 minutes for the doors to open. I see people exchanging glances. A Punjabi woman staring at a foreigner’s blonde hair. A real fat Marwari uncle in his gold coated spectacles checking his cab driver on phone. A Telugu speaking guy irked at his wife who seems to be annoyingly concerned about his lunch. ‘Chepte neeku kada, pettayi phone’, he slammed his phone down. The man in suit with his hands on the seat and fingers supporting his chin was staring into infinity (or may be the air hostess on the far end?). The aunt and her beautiful daughter who sat beside me were about to follow the rest. This meant I had to work against the gravity as I was on aisle seat. I was successful in politely convincing them that there is no point in standing.

I find these moments extraordinarily incomprehensible. I am sure most of them are not first time travelers. They know it takes few minutes before doors open but still they prefer standing and aimlessly gape at each others heads or do things which they can happily do seated. There is hardly any incentive for getting down early. Is this a habit which got carried forward from train journey? Lazybones like me sit back, yawn, observe people and keep wondering –‘Why so many legs are pained?’

11 comments:

  1. Somebody once said to me.. that Life is nothing but journey from one closed space to the other... It is the continual pursuit of human being to chase that closed space...that is why the pain... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sirish, I endorse, you are perfect material for Ph.D :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell that to iimb profs... i need that.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check this too....

    http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/ArticleText.aspx?article=04_04_2010_101_013&mode=undefined

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrity endorsement to my thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama, couldn't agree more ... I usually prefer to be the last one out .. be it a flight or a theatre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Expected ra, ppl like u, prajay and me fall in same category :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I disagree with the train-habit hypothesis. This happens everywhere in the world.

    I attempt to answer your question by the following analogy: a child is excited to run back home immediately after the school gets over. He wants to get out of the monotonic school schedule, irrespective of whether he likes his school or not. These are impulsive reactions. Impulse always acts towards changing monotony. It's not that bad. People standing in a plane and not moving anywhere, will not affect anything- right? So whats the harm? Infact stand up, unpack and stretch a bit- one should actually like doing that, even if he is completely aware of the fact that he standing up, is not going to speed up the process of his exit.
    Moreover, this habit is not a social evil or something that you should work towards preventing it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jimmy,I appreciate your detailed comment. Couple of clarifications from my side:
    1. 'train-habit'thing was not a hypothesis, just a fleeting thought. Fair enough that you do not concur.
    2. Your 'impulsive reaction' argument is logical and neatly explained.
    3. Buddy, the post never hinted at any kind of harm nor I am waging any battle against it.

    Smiles
    Abid

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey spent almost an hr now reading ur blogs..u write so well..
    qaleel told me abt ur blogs. and just got into this thru ur FB..

    hope u r doing great, btw that IBM oting was soo scary, hope u didnt mention this to ur mom then.. take good care..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Thanks for your feedback, no way I can mention it to my mum :). May I know who is this..the name is not displayed..

    Thanks
    A

    ReplyDelete