Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Rainy Day in Delhi


It was pouring in Delhi and my cab was moving at a speed of 1 inch/hour. The words of cab driver changed from – ‘Three hours is a lot of time sir. We will easily reach airport by 4 PM’ to ‘I told you sir we should have taken the other route ’

But it had been an incredible day for me and I continued to beat life. The flooded roads and snarling traffic could not stop me from reaching airport back on time. Ambling on the walkalator I saw passengers lining up at gate number 45. The departure of IT 343 was being announced. I was tired but not as much as I was happy. Life was fast, furious and beautiful since the previous evening.

It was the fourth meeting of the day and I was struggling to stay awake. Manish’s email popped up and it stirred me enough. It was a reminder to check the status. It was Thursday, 8th September and the last hope. I entered details online and to my delighted-confusion the text abruptly ended – ‘Passport received from French Embassy. Please collect on.’ I burped. 

‘What does this text mean?’ 

Any other normal thinking mind would have read it as – ‘Visa is ready, have a wonderful trip to Paris’. But it was mine which has a penchant for analyzing absolutely trivial things.

With a very determined intent to clarify all my doubts, I dialed the customer care number. Yes, I was right. It was clarified and ascertained that life mocks at me at will, a little more when the topic of discussion is foreign travel. It was 6 PM and the call centre was closed. Amidst all uncertainties, one thing was clear – With or without Visa, I had to collect my passport. So requested Manish to book the early morning Hyderabad-Delhi flight. 

It was raining very heavily in Delhi. I reached the Visa office at Nehru place a little ahead of scheduled time. At the collection point, I was given an envelope. I tore it with all my might and quickly opened my passport. I saw what I wanted – A glossy page with multi-entry Schengen Visa. I was happy, very happy. 

I have to mention this to all my readers. After the agonizing experience I had with US Visa, this was truly wonderful. I was scheduled to travel to Paris on Sunday the 11th of September. The only way this could happen is to get Visa latest by Friday, 9th September, the last working day. With every passing day, my hopes waned. But I was always telling myself, whether I fly or not, what was important for me is Visa. Because I sincerely hoped that countries worldwide will increasing believe that I am harmless and all my future Visa applications will be hassle free (fingers crossed). Never know what problem they will have with my name and religion. 

Whatever, for now, I was all set to visit the fashion capital of the world and importantly a new country this year.

I hurriedly entered into the cab while questioning the cab driver, ‘We will reach airport by 4 PM, right?’

No comments:

Post a Comment